Monday, October 19, 2009

Weekend Fun

This going to be a rambling post. No rhyme or reason.

For most people, the weekends mean catch up time at home, doing laundry, grocery shopping, getting out and about. All the things you didn't get done during the week gets done on the weekend. For us, this time is usually our down time. We do devote some time to chores that require all 4 of us to complete.

Friday afternoon was one of those days. My husband and son climbed on the roof to clean the chimney. I would have gone up there but ladders and I do not mix well. My nickname is Princess Grace. After that was completed, Hubby started splitting some of the wood we have stored. Most of it is small enough that one whack and it's done. 30 Minutes later and we were carrying in wood for the small rack that my husband made to hold the wood by the fireplace. Why buy something fancy when you can make your own? I don't need BH&G worthy, I need practical and cheap. It holds enough for 2 days. We settled down to a big pot of beef stew and biscuits for dinner and lounged the rest of the evening.

Saturday was a yucky day - cold, rainy, I don't think it hit 50 degrees. Supposed to be in the 30's tonight. The dampness in the air and the low temps (for us) meant I had to have a fire. Our first for the year. Something tells me this winter is going to be a tough one for us. I got the fire lit and going well, walked away for a minute and what do I come back to? My big old dog hogging the heat. He and the cats played roulette all afternoon. It was rather comical.




Because the temps were supposed to be low Saturday night, we had to heat the greenhouse. We lit an old camping oil lamp, along with making an air exchange vent in the thing. The air temp outside was 40 and the inside of the greenhouse was 65+. If it weren't so damp in there, I'd sleep in it




Sunday was a low key day, nothing big going on. Made a trip to the library and almost went fishing. I say almost because we were all too lazy to get off the couch and go.

Sunday night brought us our first frost. About 3 weeks early for around here. We need to add another lamp when the temps get lower. It's just a matter of time before the leaves fall from the trees - yay more compost material! The wooded area we leave alone but the rest of the working areas, we clean and keep neat and tidy or at least we try.

A couple of weeks ago we added to our family - a stray kitten my son found wandering the fields. He's a cutey. We haven't had a kitten in the house in almost 5 years. It took over a week for the dog and cats to accept him but now it's one big happy fur family. Peanut (right) is snuggling with mean "Mommy" Shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment