Monday, October 12, 2009

Bread....Glorious Bread

One of the things I am trying to do more of is cook from scratch. Cooking that way can sometimes be labor intensive and time consuming. I am always looking for faster, yet healthier ways to feed my family.
One of those ways is a fast bread. One that requires no kneading. I've tried all sorts of "quick breads" but they don't give me that good old fashioned flavor that true breads offer. Let's face it - who doesn't love fresh baked bread?
I found this article and recipe in Mother Earth News. It's called a 5 minute bread. (Follow the link to the article and recipe).Now, that doesn't mean you have fresh bread in 5 minutes. It means you can have fresh bread in the time it takes to pull a hunk of dough out of the refrigerator and shape it - that's the 5 minute part. There is no kneading. It takes all of 5 minutes to mix the ingredients together to get the dough ready to rise.
Give it a try. I'd be willing to bet you'd like it with the Chocolate Butter that is posted on my Sweet Mississippi friend's Fun and Frugal Living blog listed below or follow this link. This stuff is scrumptious!!!!!

I baked a loaf for dinner tonight. A small one. It doesn't look as good as the stock photo from the recipe link (probably because I am not a photographer and I forgot to clean my baking stone of crumbs and cornmeal). I have to say, this is a very dense bread - not suitable for sandwiches but perfect for soups, stews, chili's, etc. It's got a very crusty crust and the inside is moist.  Very delicious and well worth the minimal effort to make. I would suggest a longer "french bread" type loaf instead of the round, but that's just me.
BTW - half of that small loaf was scarfed down using the Chocolate Butter I made this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kika, I was curious about your 5 minute bread and noticed your blog on KC, I'm glad I checked it out. I look forward to reading more as well. Good Luck! Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found it. Hope you enjoy !

    ReplyDelete