Saturday, November 7, 2009

What is it about Visitors?

No, I'm not talking about the new TV series "V", although I have tuned in and think it may end up on my lineup each week. I remember getting all po'd when the original was on and I had to work that night. I didn't have a VCR at the time so I missed pretty much all of it back in the 80's. Of course it didn't help having a supervisor at the time that was manic about not missing an episode - he would make absolutely sure he was off on the nights "V" came on and also "Beauty and the Beast".
Anyways, I digress.....
What is it about having visitors coming to your home for a few days that puts you in a panic cleaning mode? You know you clean daily. Dust, vacuum, wash hand prints off the walls, mop, the whole nine yards. But let anyone say they are coming to stay for a couple of days and OMG! It's Panic Mode time! With capital letters!
You know full well your visitor is not going to look behind a door, or lift a curtain or perhaps move that canister on your counter or traverse to the very back corner of your property to discover your newly laid compost bin yet you positively, in your mind, know for a fact that they will. While you are sleeping. When your back is turned. Or better yet, in front of you when you least expect it. You know they are gonna do it and stand there with an "AHA! I gotcha" look an their faces. Humiliation. Feelings of inadequacy. It's all in your mind you know. At least that's what we tell ourselves.
I am expecting a VIP visit in 2 weeks. Yep, my Mother In Law. She's the sweetest (aside from my Mom) woman you could ever meet. I love her almost as much as my own Mommy. However, when my Mom visits, I make sure I don't have dirty dishes on the counter. That's it. She knows me and wuvs me anyways.
There's something about in laws coming to visit. You feel as though you are under a microscope (even though you aren't, hopefully).
Today I have washed every curtain in the house, pressure washed the new blinds I just bought about 5 months ago, scrubbed windows I know any sane person won't even think to look through, and now it's off to the carpet and upholstery. Hmmm...thinking maybe a quick pressure washing of the siding of the house may be in order. I gotta mow the lawn, trim the hedges, weed the flower beds....sheesh. I should be under the impending doom of Visitors more often. Oh wait....the dog needs a bath!
Hubby put the pressure washer up in the shed and I was standing on the back porch almost wanting to yell "NO!!!! Leave it out, I need to wash some shoes or something". That sucker is coming back out tomorrow and I am gonna use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment