Thursday, November 26, 2009

Ghosts of Christmas Past

All in honor of Ebeneezer Scrooge.............
Now that we are underway to December and all that entails, I thought I would take the time to stroll down memory lane. Maybe post a few pictures, tell a tale or two, and take a glimpse at the past here and there. This particular post will grow as time goes on and I remember to type out my fuzzy recollections.

The most logical place to start would be with me. Since I have the memories vividly etched in my data base.

My very first Christmas Memory -

I was 5. We had just moved to town in September (may have been late August but that is fuzzy). Editor's note here - My Mom just informed me it was in February. We moved into a small rental house that really did not have enough room for 5 people but my Mom made do. Christmas, I'm sure, was on my Mom's mind. I wouldn't know. She didn't really tell us details. Being 5 I just knew Santa would answer my wish list. Honestly, I don't know how we ate those first few months, because my Mom was just starting a new job after never really being in the workforce at all, going to night school (I believe)and basically just trying to survive.

One weekend day, my Great Uncle and Aunt knocked on the door. They were bringing us a tree. To my small mind, that tree was a Redwood. Huge! They placed it in the Livingroom and we all stood back and just stared at it. I remember laying under it at night, dreaming of Reindeer and sugar plums. That tree stood naked of decorations for what seemed like the longest time. Sure, my sister and I would haphazardly perch board game pieces and paper cut-outs in the branches but we would always take them away before anyone else would see them. I'm not sure why.

One day the tree blossomed into an array of wonder. It was decorated with glass balls, glass soldiers, lights and tinsel that seemed to find its way into every nook and cranny around the house. I don't think we (any of us) have a picture of that tree but my 5 yr old's memory is one of fantastical wonder. That was one spectacular tree. I was certain that no one in the whole world had one that fantastic, that special, that beautiful. I saw pictures of the tree in NY and in my mind that tree was a "Charlie Brown Tree" compared to ours.

In those days we always went to my Great Grandmother's home for a family Christmas get-together on Christmas Eve. Boring. I'm sure the adults enjoyed it but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that us kids hated and dreaded going every year. What I would give now to have that opportunity, only changed a good bit. We would get home late at night, get ready for Santa to visit and settle down. I bet my Mom hated Christmas eve what with having to scarf down cookies and milk. Maybe not, now that I think harder about it.

Christmas morning that year - oh my. I will never ever forget it. I have shared this story with my family over the years, told a few friends and I never tire of talking about that wonderful, magical morning.

We awakened to a living room stuffed to the gills with gift. I know, a child's mind expands what really happened but I swear, that room was stuffed. Toys, clothes, odds and ends, food, stockings overflowing with those traditional oranges and apples and nuts. My Grandmother (who had a key to the house) and her sister and BIL came in the night and set a spread for us that I will never forget. Personally, I thought Santa was off his rocker but as I grew older, I understood what happened.

Because of that memory, every year I do something extra for a stranger. It doesn't have to be much. Just that gesture to tell someone that "yes, they do count". I'm not ringing my own bell or trying to be superficial, I'm just stating a fact. One day in my childhood has caused me to think outside of my own little bubble. My elders taught me to give from the heart, even if I can't give from the pocketbook. For that I am eternally grateful.

If I could have a Christmas Wish this year, it would be to have the chance to sit down and say Thank You to my Grandmother, Great Aunt and Uncle and most especially to my Mom.

I can fulfill part of that wish -
"Mom - Thank You. For Everything".

2 comments:

  1. We moved to sptbg in February and everything was covered in ice and we had to stay with your grandparents for a few days until the ice was getting gone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I was way off. Why was I thinking late summer? Dain brammaged.

    ReplyDelete