Friday, December 4, 2009

Root Beer Bread

Yes you read that correctly - ROOT BEER Bread. Sounds funky don't it?
A couple of years ago I was gifted with a gift box of specialty bread mixes. I used all but the beer bread mix. That box kept getting shunted around in the pantry. Why? No beer in the house unless I am making a big pot of chili. Well the other day I pulled that box out with every intention of tossing it. I read the instructions and it said use beer, soda or carbonated water. I got a wild hair. Root beer. I have that. It's "beer". It's soda. It's carbonated. So, there it all went into the mixing bowl. The end result was a bit different. Sweet. Aftertaste of Root beer. Not bad. My son has decided he wants that bread all the time. Guess what boys and girls. It was a mix. I can't replicate it since the box it came in was used as firestarter in the fireplace.

Fast forward to today. I go online and search out recipes for Root Beer Bread. No luck. Then my feeble mind reminds me "Dummy, it's beer bread". So I find a suitable recipe for beer bread. Recipe Goldmine has saved my butt many a time. I used the recipe, doubled it, and replaced the beer with root beer. Tossed it all in the bread machine and voila. End result part 2 - that's some goooooooood bread. Not sweet yet not bland. Just the right amount of flavor.


Root Beer Bread

1/2 cup water (room temp)
1 1/3 cup Root Beer (room temp) you can use regular beer if you wish
2 Tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
4 Tablespoons Sugar
4 cups all purpose flour or Bread flour
1 individual packet of yeast.
Place liquids then other ingredients in the bread pan first. Add flour. Place yeast on top. Choose 2# loaf size and light color.

No comments:

Post a Comment