Saturday, December 5, 2009

Greenhouse Update

The greenhouse is doing wonderfully well. Better than anticipated. We are managing to keep the night temperatures hovering around 68 - 72. Day temps are still hard to regulate but we are learning fast. One thing I have discovered though - the reason why "hot house" produce is much more expensive. It takes longer for the plants to produce to a ripened stage, plus the upkeep is much more labor intensive than traditional gardening.
Because we are growing directly in the soil, the soil temps are lower but no where near as low as the outside ground. Next year will see the greenhouse majorly expanded and raised grow boxes installed.

Cucumbers by Christmas time ........




They look so inviting and it's hard to keep from picking one just to taste.










The Tomato plants are thriving. I have noticed they are not as big as a traditional garden tomato plant. But they sure are blooming. The Basil is doing way better than it did all summer long.
We are trying Snow Peas. Just a few vines. They are growing by leaps and bounds but no signs of blossoms just yet.


This has really been an adventure in learning for us. It has also satisfied my husbands' yearning to dig in the dirt during the barren winter months here. Even though I have a degree in Horticulture, my husband is the one who "digs" gardening more than I do. Many a day can find him puttering around in the garden and now in the greenhouse. He even has a lawn chair in it so he can sit and enjoy the "fruits" of his labor. 

3 comments:

  1. Kika, I am GREEN with envy.What a lovely greenhouse, and produce!! YAY for you, I hope you share pics of the harvested goods too.Really well done!I never knew you had a degree in Hort! And here I am thrashing about with my "green thumb" [so green that I lost an african violet today...by overnighting it on a cold windowsill :X] Love your blog :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my degree is 26 years old and not very used :) I am more amazed at my husband. He knew nothing about gardening until we married. Now he's the Master Gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what fantastic results...it makes me wonder what I could do here..maybe not tender plants but I'm thinking maybe cool items like spinach and radishes, stuff like that....hmmm....I really need to get thinking about gardens...it will be time to plan before I know it!!

    Looks great lady!
    Rie

    ReplyDelete